Monday, June 25, 2007

Hola from Guatemala!

Here I am in Solola, Guatemala on a mission trip with Caroline's Promise. So far the trip has been WONDERFUL! The people are beautiful and very friendly. The food is "muy delicioso". And, our location at Eagle's Nest Children's Home is wonderful. The views of lake Atitlan and the 6 volcanoes that surround it are nothing less than breathtaking. Notice the last picture, you can
see the volcano glowing and the smoke rising from it.


.




We have worked hard at the Eagle's Nest property painting and cleaning. We've had a couple of long work days, but it's an honor to be a small part of making this a better place for these beautiful children and the people who care for them. Here is Lisa Holbrook (the founder of Caroline's Promise and me hard at work.













We've spent a lot of time working with children, both here at the home and at a couple of area schools. The kids here are so sweet and excited to meet new people. They are all very interested in my blonde hair, something they don't see very often. Last night a local church came and did a program with the kids here at Eagle's Nest. We got out the face painting supplies and discovered that the kids had WAY more fun painting our faces rather than us painting theirs. Here I am with the artist who decorated my face, plus some other face painting scenes.














God has been at work in amazing ways on this trip. Yesterday, we went to church. The service and music was completely in Spanish, but I learned that worship transcends language differences. It was a time of real closeness to God and fellowship with other believers. I even had the opportunity to share a testimony (with the help of a translator). I briefly spoke about how we all serve a God who provides. I talked about how God made it possible for me to go on this trip when, by my own means, it would have been impossible. I also said that I still didn't know the specific purpose God had for me in Guatemala, but I know that he has one, just like he has a purpose for each of our lives. I asked the congregation to pray that I would understand God's purpose for me and I said I would pray that God would show each of them his purpose in their lives. The congregation was very receptive to my message and it was a moment I will always treasure.
I also had the opportunity to speak to some of the women who work here at the children's home. My message for them was about how important they are to so many people. I explained how their work is important to the children, the birth parents, the adoptive parents and, most importantly, to God. Susan and Laura, two of our team members who have adopted children to Guatemala also spoke to the women. We thanked them for their hard work. I told them that Jesus said, "Whoever welcomes a child such as this in my name, also welcomes me." I added that when we do things for the needy, we are doing things for Jesus. I said that each one of the children they care for is a little Jesus. They laughed when I went on to say, "A little, crying, pooping, vomiting Jesus, but still...a little Jesus."

Please keep praying for the safety, health and work of our team. God Bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell your artist she did a wonderful job on your face. Have a fun and blessed trip!

About Me

My photo
I have three extremely cute kids-Andrew is 14, Carley is 12 and Laura is 9. My husband, Alton, is a delivery driver by day with dreams of one day publishing his own comic book. Yes, he is a geek, but I love him anyway. I have been working at WBFJ since September 2004 when God threw me out of the boat I was riding in and set me on a new and wonderful course. I love co-hosting the morning show, although the lack of sleep does make me a bit loopy at times.